Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summer Update by Emily Johnson

This summer I am working as a Program Manager for the Boys and Girls Club of Lancaster. This job was offered to me after I spent about six months volunteering at a local middle school. I started volunteering once a week for about an hour for a school project on effective mentoring styles. After the project was over I decided I really liked the kids and the program, so I added a few hours and a few days as a volunteer. This ultimately led to a job. The program promotes "community schools" which allows the students to combine a school day with homework help, physical education, various enrichment clubs, and a chance for another meal. The summer provides the same basic opportunities, but without a school day. So far this summer we have done science experiments, made tie-dye t-shirts, cleaned up the community, gone on field trips, and planted flowers for the local women's shelter. Best of all, we play basketball everyday. Although basketball is a group favorite, I could really use a break from knock-out! :)